Gosport in Cortís day
One of the first in the county, containing near 1200 houses, and a greater number of inhabitants than Winchester or Southampton.† It consists of several parallel streets, intersected by many others at right angles, and although it appears in some places rather crowded yet is the whole well built and paved, and some of the streets spacious; it is inhabited by a few merchants, a number of respectable tradesmen, officers of the navy, and some artificers who work in Portsmouth Yard; exclusive of the church, it has a large chapel, the dissenters are likewise a considerable party.† The town was fortified some years ago, and has many heavy cannon on the ramparts.
† From Daniel Wallerís description of Gosport in Annals of Agriculture 1789 (Vol 8 p217)
This map of the eastern end of the town is taken from one of the 1870s, in Gosport museum.† There had been few changes since Cortís day.
Many of the features can still be seen today.† Most of North Street has disappeared, and Middle Street has been renamed High Street.† But South Street is still there.
A map of the area around the Green around 1800 can be seen on the Henry Cort page of the Gosport local website.
Although Gosport in Cortís day is reckoned to have been the second largest town in Hampshire, its official status was part of the parish of Alverstoke.
Holy Trinity Church had been built as a chapel-of-ease in 1696, but St Marys Alverstoke was still extensively used, especially for burials.